Tuesday 1 December 2015

Backcomb and Padding

To form a typical Elizabethan style, we need to create the well know heart shaped bump. This week we learnt two different ways of making those shapes.

To start off, I crimped the entire head of hair on Lil Nik. Once crimped and cooled off I brushed it through which creates the frizzed texture that we see often in Elizabethan styles.

I then sectioned off about 4 to 6 inches of hair at the front to work with. The rest of the hair was tied up and put out of the way in the meantime. With the hair at the front, I placed a center parting to try out my two different techniques.

Padding Technique

This just requires a prop that is placed inside the roll to form a structure. The prop I used was just stuffed tights roughly the size of my hand.
The prop is placed on the inside with the hair pulled over and pinned underneath.

Backcomb Technique

1. Take portions of the hair about 1 to 2 inches thick.
2. Backcomb the hair starting from the bottom. Hold the tip of the hair with one hand and use the comb to gently push the hair towards the root. Do this up the length of the hair.
3. Repeat until all hair required has been backcombed.

4. Manipulate the hair with fingers to get rid of gaps in the hair.
5. Roll the hair up to create shape required and pin underneath by the scalp.
6. Use grips to pin down any wispie parts or bits that may need to move.



I did the padding technique on the right and the backcomb on the left (face forward) and you can see a noticeable difference. The padded side looks smoother and more structured where as the backcombed side looks more frizzed and textured.
Although padding is a lot quicker and looks neater, I really prefered backcombing as I felt more in control of the hair and I liked the untamed look.

No comments:

Post a Comment