Tuesday 1 December 2015

Plaits

To start off our practice to Elizabethan hair styles we learned a few techniques of plaiting. Below are pictures of my work done in class.

I actually felt really confident doing this not just because it was a basic technique but because I had done it before. I was still intrigued to see what I could create using the techniques shown to us. If I was to do this again, I would try to make it a bit smoother as Lil Nik has a lot of wispie hairs and its hard to create a sleek look on short and uneven hair.


Basic Plait technique

1. Brush the hair thoughrougly
2. Use any section of hair you wish. When practicing on Lil Nik, I sectioned off a part on the side of the head and plaited the free flowing hair.
3. Divide the hair into 3. This is now section 1, 2 and 3.
4. Cross 1 over 2. 1 should now be in the middle.
5. Cross 3 over 1. 3 should now be in the middle.
6. Repeat this until you have reached the end of the hair and secure with elastic or hair tie.

If you have never done a plait before it is extremely confusing but once you remember the outside strands always take turns in replacing the middle, it is easy to pick up.

French Plait Technique

1. Brush hair thoughroughly
2. Section off the part of the hair you wish to plait.
3. Section off where you want the plait to start and dividing the hair into 3 sections. This is now section 1, 2 and 3.
4. Cross 1 over 2. 1 should now be in the middle.
5. Cross 3 over 1. 3 should now be in the middle.
6. Repeat the last two steps but picking up sections of hair underneath before crossing over.
7. Continue this until you have finished the section of hair and tie off with elastic or hair tie.

I also tried doing a french plait on the full head. I found this a bit harder as the hair is short and hard to keep neat.


Fish Tail Plait Technique

1. Brush hair thoughroughly
2. Section the part of the hair you wish to use.
3. Divide the hair in half. This is now left and right.
4. From the left side, take a small piece of hair from the outside and cross is over the top to the right side.
5. From the right side, take a small piece of hair from the outside and cross it over the top to the left side.
6. Repeat this until you have reached the end of the length of hair. This type of plait will take longer as it is small pieces of hair being changed over each time.
 

Again, I also tried this plait on a full head. It was still quite fiddly to do but I think this style looks nice on long hair as I would imagine it to be neater.



I am happy with the finished look however I feel like I need to work on my timing. I realise its good to take your time with perfecting a design but I did notice a few other people in the class wizzing through like it was second nature. I do find plaits quite easy but when it comes to french and fishtail they can be so fiddly and frudtrating! I guess I just need to keep practicing more!



No comments:

Post a Comment