Tuesday 1 December 2015

Introduction to the brief

Im really excited to start this section of the course as I feel more confident in hair. Since the age of 3 I have been heavily involved in performing arts so when it came to dance shows, lessons and auditions I grew up having my hair always neat and tidy or styled in a certain way to suit the lesson/style of dance/day. As I grew older, I learnt how to do it myself and took control of the looks I was going for. I even had friends asking me to do their hair too! I have never had any training or even been told certain techniques to use, I simply used my creativity!

Our first project brief is based on the Elizabethan Era. Now I will admit, I really don't know a great deal about it so my first mission is to do some research especially of the hair, makeup and fashion of both men and women. We are to create a final contemporary hairstyle based on historical Elizabethan styles.,

When first being told about the brief, I was a bit nervous as I had never done anything from a different time period. It was strange to do history again (one of my least favourite subjects at school to tell the truth!) but I did tell myself to keep an open mind!

As soon as the technical lessons started, I was really keen to dive in. I was prepared with all my brushes and my dolls head, which I have renamed 'Lil Nik'. I even pierced her nose like me so I could tell which head belonged to me!
We obviously learnt some basic things first to get everyone to the same point which involved curling, crimping, plaiting and buns. One thing that really interested me was finding out the techniques I had been using previously were actually the same as what I was being taught.

I have been practicing on Lil Nik and I am really pleased with the outcome. Now I just need to do some research on the Elizabethans and come up with some designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment