Wednesday 2 December 2015

Chosen Design Practice on Me

It was Katherine's turn to practice my design on myself.
When showing her my hair chart, she seemed really keen about my idea.
There were a couple of things I had to mention to Katherine about my hair.
- Its naturally very curly
- The side is shaved (if she didn't notice already)
- There are 2 dreadlocks which makes brushing the rest of my hair an awkward task
- I have inherited a rough afro like texture to my hair from the African side of my family therefore frizzing for the assessment will not take much work!
I told Katherine not to panic and just go crazy because I wanted it a lot bigger and crazier than what I had created on Lil Nik.
Challenge accepted! I was really pleased with how well my partner did. Here is a quick video of the practice.


So as you might be able to see we tried to do the style like I had done of Lil Nik. Katherine rolled up the two sections and pinned them up. We then tried a more messier style where it wasn't rolled as tight.
Another bump in the road was the direction on which way the hair was going. When I had previously practiced on Lil Nik I had in mind for the hair to be rolled facing away from the face. In our practice sessions we came to the conclusion that it didn't sit right and that if we let the hair fall to the side it allows us to see the heart shape more.

In a lesson I was unable to make, Katherine managed to find a long piece of lace fabric that could be used instead on the chain detail I had originally intended to use. She suggested this to try out and I absolutely loved it! It gave a subtle Elizabethan feel to the hair and the way it was placed in the hair also outlined the off centre heart shape.

I am confident that Katherine will carry out my design well for the assessment. I feel we have had good communication and she understands the idea behind my design. I'm really looking forward to completing the assessment now!

No comments:

Post a Comment